Varash (Ukrainian: Вараш), formerly Kuznetsovsk (Ukrainian: Кузнецо́вськ), is a city in Rivne Oblast, Ukraine. Varash is administratively incorporated as a city of oblast significance. Population: 42,160 (2017).
The urban-type settlement was founded on 1973 as a company town of the Rivne Nuclear Power Plant. The new town was named in honor of the Soviet intelligence agent, partisan Nikolai Kuznetsov. The plan of the city reflects the ideals of late socialist realism. Part of the city occupies the site of the former village of Varash, founded in 1776. Now it is one of the districts in the city. On 19 May 2016, Verkhovna Rada adopted decision to rename Kuznetsovsk to Varash and conform to the law prohibiting names of Communist origin. Varash is located in the Volhynian Polesie in the north of Rivne Oblast. It is located over the Styr River which is a tributary of Pripyat River between Volodymyrets Raion (Rivne Oblast) and Manevychi Raion (Volyn Oblast).
There are 12 kindergartens, 6 secondary schools, a high school, a music school, college, and a branch of the Kiev Institute of Management in the city. Three newspapers are published in Varash. In addition, a television station and a radio company are operated here. There are a few churches and a cathedral. The architectural symbol of the city is the Svyato-Preobrazhenskiy Cathedral.
As Varash is a relatively young city, it has a typical building style from the Soviet period. Today the city continues to grow and expand. The city population grew steadily despite the country reduction tendency.
Varash is one of the world’s cities which coat of arms contains nuclear plant factory.